Saturday, October 4, 2008

Life is Good!


Each day has its own gift. Yesterday was October 3, my birthday. In previous years I wondered how I would feel on that date; sometimes my expectations met, other times not. Recently I have not felt the urge to think about my birthday as a special day filled with certain activities and people. Yesterday, though, was different. Being away from home and in another country, you are acutely aware of your identity and the milestones that mark who you are. I woke up to a lesiurely breakfast then I went for my daily jog. My spirit was soaring even though the sky was overcast and the air heavy with the ocean humidity. After running, I wandered down through the wealthy residential area in front of my apartment headed for the beach. I ran into my friend, Ahmet, the security guard whom I mentioned previously. He came out from his station, greeted me warmly, and we began to converse. I was so touched by his faith in God and his internal contentment. He spoke of the importance of being happy with what we have been given, not to complain nor aspire for money if we don’t have health. He mentioned Stevie Wonder and how difficult it must be for him to have all the money in the world and not be able to see his wife and children. Ahmed kept repeating “Al Hum Dillah” which is Arabic for Thank God. He had so much wisdom in his simple words.

He invited me to come one day, when I’m free, to his home so he could show me around, and show me the beauty of communal life. He is definitely poor, but thankful to have a job. He works guarding the entrance of a mansion that belongs to a Lebanese baron. Ahmed lives in what we would call the slums back home, but he prefers it to the wealthy area because of the open, communal living. In his neighborhood, all doors are always open, people share tea together and talk for hours, no child is in danger and thus can go anywhere because everyone knows each other and looks out for each other. He and others may be materialistically poor, but poverty carries no badge of shame here. It reminds me of the village life of our parents back in Lebanon, in contrast to the hurried, private, gated, individual-oriented life of the modern, western urban/suburban citizen.

Two side notes to add to this message of life as a gift: My aunt, Khaltu Hasna, just called me while composing this message to wish me a happy birthday. It was wonderful to hear her voice which was full of so much love and concern for me. It was a beautiful, thoughtful act that reminds me of how blessed I am. Secondly, another call just came in from the security guard at the Elton gas station/convenience store across the street. He called just to wish me a happy birthday again and to ask if I had a nice time last night ( I invited some of my new friends over).

Life is about people, not the place. That’s why I love Detroit, my home, so much. In my neighborhood I am surrounded by good people and friends. Here, in Senegal, I am starting to make those connections, and I am beginning to love being here because of the people.

When we’re able to look beyond the environment, (which for me here, has admittedly taken a long time and considerable effort), we see the beauty of humanity. And if people are beautiful, is there really anything else we can ask for?!

1 comment:

armando said...

It looks as though you are having the kind of experiences that you were hoping for. Human contact is the most important.
Belated happy birthday!
Armando