Friday, November 7, 2008

Profiles

Thus far I’ve tried to paint some pictures of what life for me is like here in Senegal. Just when it seems I have met enough people to form some impressions that are coherent in my mind, I meet others who broaden and enrich my perspective. One thing is for certain, I love to meet people. I love to spend time with new acquaintances, listening to their stories and their take on life. There’s no doubt I have a soft heart, and if I could, I would help every single person I could in every way I could imagine. But a dose of realism is necessary and good for me. So, after much reflection, I have chosen to share with you the profiles of several individuals who make up the beauty of the fabric that is called the Senegalese. These profiles, I hope, will help you appreciate why I am so happy to have had this opportunity. Many of the building security guards will be profiled, for I am getting to know them better than most. I will talk about my neighbor whom I met just yesterday who is an aspiring musician. I will share vignettes on some of my colleagues, and perhaps one on the U.S. Ambassador. I had the fortune of re-meeting her last weekend at a Halloween party, and she and I had a one-on-one conversation for 45 minutes; it was amazing!

What I do want to do is that which I believe is realistic. I am choosing two of my friends to profile in depth and to make an appeal of help. They are names and maybe even faces I hope you recognize: Abdoulaye and Zacheria. I believe, as I know so many of you do, that we are strongest when we can support each other. Our individual potential is magnified and realized when we are connected to others. Even Obama’s victory is a message of rebuke against unilateralism, greed and individualism in the markets and society. It is also a message of hope for all that we will achieve when we look beyond ourselves and work for both our own development and that of the common good. With that said, I will make this one and only appeal to you: When you hear their stories, if you are compelled to help--in even the smallest, and what you may feel most insignificant, way possible, please join me in doing so. I have invited both of them to tell their own stories in the form of letters that they are writing in French and I will translate into English. I hope, with the power of technology and the internet, we can make life-long changes in the lives of these two noble, hard-working men. I know the timing back home for such an appeal is not ideal, but as MLK Jr. said, “The time is always right to do what is right.” Thank you so much in advance, and their stories will be forthcoming soon.

No comments: