Saturday, December 13, 2008

December Sentiments

As the dawn breaks the pink hues softly fade into a increasingly brightening sky. The brisk air, so common in the morning of a beautiful autumn day, welcomes you through the window screen of your bedroom. You turn slowly toward the light, stretch, and gladly fall victim to the smile that finds its way onto your face to say, “Welcome to a beautiful day.” It is December 13, 2008. The wind is blowing, and sitting on the balcony watching the palm trees from the Austrian Ambassador’s residence bending to nature’s forces, I know I am blessed. The last few days have been amazing: the air is fresh, the sky so blue, the sun’s heat is warming yet not burning. I have begun a Dakar winter.

This past Tuesday was the biggest holiday in Senegal: Tabaski. It commemorates Abraham’s faith in God by his willingness to sacrifice his son. As many know the story, his son is spared by God and a sheep is slaughetered instead. So Tabaski is, as they say in French here, the Feast of the Sheep. Eash household buys and slaughters a sheep, and a mutton feast follows. Asking forgiveness from each family member and neighbor for any harm you may have caused over the past year is the tradition and standard greeting for the day. It is truly beautiful and humbling. Imagine a society which celebrates and values each person’s utterance of “I’m sorry.” A sincere forgiveness so that relations can move forward in a spirit of peace. Should holidays really be about anything else?

Dakar being the capital, has many transplants; which means home for so many Senegalese who work here is actually elsewhere in the country. Part of the beauty of the last few days has been the relaxed feel in the streets: fewer people, no traffic jams, less garbage, more smiles, and full stomachs. People are just coming back to Dakar today, and on Monday the reality of big city living will resume...

It’s been weeks since I have written; there are reasons. Life here is so demanding on a daily basis that I feel drained at day’s end. Life in the underdeveloped world is difficult. I now appreciate why government and businesses call such places a “hardship” post. With Thanksgiving behind me, Tabaski wrapping up, and Christmas approaching, I realize more than ever the importance of family and friends. No place nor persons can replace the warmth of sharing traditions with your loved ones. So, while I have had no shortage of new, rich experiences, I have had a shortage of excitement. It’s difficult for me to share with others when my state of mind is not ebullient. With that said, there is so much still to say; so please continue to follow me on this journey, looking above and below for other December entries.

No comments: