Monday, September 22, 2008

Moving In

I'm 37 years old, I'm a high school teacher, and I don't know what street I live on.
Welcome to Dakar, Senegal!  Here it's about landmarks, not streets and numbers.  So far, I have not found a Senegalese who really knows how to read a map of the city.  I know I live in a big apartment building that is called "The Rose Building" but it's no longer rose!  I know I live across the street from a gas station called Elton, around the corner from the Korean Embassy or Ambassador's residence, and a street in from the Corniche, which is the seaside road that rings the peninsula that makes up Dakar.  My neighbor/district is called Mermoz.  So when I'm downtown and want to get back home, I tell the taxidriver "Elton, Mermoz" and every single time, I arrive right in front of my home.  Attached I hope, will be pictures of the Corniche and of my apartment.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

armando said...

What a relief to see you and your apartment. everything looks normal.
I'm glad you are near the ocean. The beach alone should keep you going until next summer.
Keep adding to the blog!
Armando