Sunday, January 18, 2009

Charles Schulz's PigPen

Coal Miner’s Son, that’s who I am. Yesterday I went on an excursion to Thies and Tivavouane. It was the first trip thus far in my time in Senegal where the elements got the best of me. It was like cleaning out my basement right after I bought my house. Or washing the windows that first time after 25 years of neglect. The Harmaton is the name of the wind that blows the desert sands south to our wonderful home of Senegal. That with the local dirt and sand that are not held down by trees or other vegetation, it’s a recipe for disaster. I showered and left my house with a beautifully bright, light blue linen shirt with cotton beige pants. After just two hours on the road, my fingernails were black with soot that I could not sratch off. After lunch and another hour drive to the next destination, my hands were soiled and my shirt took on a dark blue hue. There was no electricity in the hotel where we arrived, the sun had set, so finding a sink was an impossibility, let alone any soap. After about an 11 hour day, I returned home and rushed to the kitchen sink. I literally scrubbed my hands 5 separate times. I took off my clothes and went to the shower. I stuck my brushcut head under the shower nozzle and watched the black water rush down for 45 seconds nonstop. What is amazing is that you will never hear a local person complain about it. They will shower for the day, put on their best clothes, and go about their business. Senegal: Adapt and March On!

No comments: