Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thanks for being You

The authenticity of each other is our most redeeming trait. No airs, just who we are. When at home, I had the pleasure of attending my friend Rodney’s wedding. At the reception I met up with John Francis, the father of my childhood friend Phillip. I always remembered Mr. Francis/Uncle John as a no-nonsense fella. He was of the working-class, and always had a natural ability to make you feel completely comfortable in his presence. He did not have an easy life, working long, hard hours with health complications, in order to support his family. Nonetheless, he, and his wife, Aunt Nora, for that matter, loved to laugh and truly sucked the nectar out of life. At the wedding reception, John welcomed me warmly and engaged me in extended conversation about my experiences here in Senegal. He was attentive and full of curiosity. He was eager to learn not only what I was living, but to learn as well what lessons I was acquiring from my time here. We laughed, moved on to join the rest of the group, and shared drinks. What strikes me about Mr. Francis is how real he is. Like one of my best students, he is still impassioned to learn about life. He will never grow old in my eyes. Moreover, his warmth was like that of a loving uncle, while his respect for me and my knowledge, being someone who has lived so many fewer years than he, really humbled me.

This beauty of humanity, reflected by Uncle John, is the blessing that I am living so often here in Senegal. Early on in these entries I said I would profile some of these special people in my life. I have talked to you about a few, including Abdoulaye and Zacheria. There are so many more, some regulars, others chance acquaintances. Let me share with you.

Khady and Ouzou. Ousmane is another security guard here at the building, who has an infectious smile and an even greater laugh. He actually was one of the first guards I met, but then was on a month leave shortly after I arrived, so he was not in my first accounts. He had gone back to the village to work the fields and harvest the millet. He came back to work here with even more enthusiasm to get know me. We talked about me tutoring him in English, but to date, we still haven’t had a lesson. We have, though, become great friends. He is friends with Zacheria, and they live right around the corner from each other. Ousmane started talking to Khadija (Khady) and could not wait to tell me how excited he was about her. He is the classic romantic and blushes (in a Senegalese way) every time he mentions her name. Ousmane is a villager living in the city who has noteworthy ambition. He is 31 years old, like the other guys, but did not pass his high school exit exam, the Bac. One of the reasons he wants to be tutored in English is so he can pass the Bac. He has gone to the Ministry of Education on several occasions to navigate the bureaucracy so that he can pursue and attain his goal of a diploma. He shares his room and bed with two other guys, just like Abdoulaye and Zacheria do, for lack of financial resources. He has welcomed me into his life, introduced me to his friends, takes me to his barber, and teaches me how to laugh more. Every time we meet he greets me with a big hug and that million dollar smile. Upon my return this week, he could hardly contain his excitement in telling me that he and Khadija are now engaged; as by Senegalese village custom, their parents met, and kola nuts were distributed to signal a joining of the two families. A ceremony at the mosque will follow, but for all intents and purposes, the marriage has already begun. He told me how much he missed having me here when it happened and had invited his friends over for a dinner to celebrate his joy. So, this past Wednesday night, which was another Muslim holiday here, he invited me to go with him to meet his eldest brother and family and share dinner at their home. I gladly accepted and was very warmly received. They live modestly, like most of my friends, but bent over backwards to make me feel comfortable. After a wonderful visit, during which his four year old niece took a liking to me, we headed over to Khady’s home so I could see her for the first time as his “wife.” He took her a number of gifts, which is such a beautiful part of this story...He was so tongue-tied when we arrived, that I had to do most of the talking! Then he started to mumble as he gave her the first gift: a flashlight for reading and walking when the power goes out. He then gave her the second gift: a radio walkman with headphones, yes just a radio, no cassette or cd player. He was quick to tell her though that it was not from China, and so was of a good quality! Thirdly, and perhaps most striking, was that he bought her a Kaplan-like SAT or MCAT prep study book, but for the exam given at the end of middle school in order for one to move onto high school. So, the most important and valuable gift, was one of learning, a book. Although she is in her twenties, the reality here for females is that very few have been given the opportunity to go to school through high school. His future, and hers, are inextricably linked to his belief that education is the necessary missing ingredient. She was touched, and spent a lot of time looking at each and every page. The beauty in the simplicity manifested continues to touch me.


I am blessed to have many persons in my life like Uncle John and Ousmane. Many of you who read this entry are those for whom I am so grateful. Tonight I thank God for my time here; the world is full of beautiful people.

No comments: