Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! A time where the feeling of anything possible reigns; a time to change for the better, a time to think differently about many situations, a time to give a little more, listen more attentively, take better care of oneself. The new year brings hope for many of us. In the midst of our routines and sometimes undesirable environments (physical, metereological, emotional), we push ourselves to blaze a new path. The ultimate traits of human resiliency and inventiveness. What we realize as we start a new year, is the potential for happiness when we take advantage of these voluntary changes of heart and mind. May we each find the sources to re-energize for the great experiences, adventures, and challenges that lie ahead.

In this country of seemingly perpetual sunshine, it’s a blessing to wake up daily to the blue sky and fresh morning air. By afternoon the temperature rises as the heat strikes you; but if lucky enough, a refreshing breeze passes through, and while seeing the sun’s rays reflect off the ocean waves, you know you are a fortunate one. It is in this setting that I am communicating with you.

I have lived through innumerable experiences since my fingers last touched this keyboard; so many of them significant in the depth at which they touched me. Sometimes however, I live through them, enjoying the fleeting nature of excitement that they bring; other times, I allow them to linger as I ponder their impact. After all, as my friend Steven reminds me, we are the sum total of every experience that we have lived, and we are different today than who we were yesterday as a result of living. In the entries that follow, I hope to share some of the fleeting and lasting experiences of the past few weeks that are giving voice to the Elias of 2009. Que Dieu est grand!

No comments: